The system advised is threefold, and the symbol of the pyramid is used to remind the student at all times than he cannot just work on one level at a time. The directive is threefold in that you are advised to BE or become the Truth, the Way and the Life, which has practically the same meaning as the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha.
The manner of following each of these three directives in turn involves work on three levels, the physical, the mental and the essential.
Some of the work on these levels can be done by the individual, and some can only be done by the individual. On the other hand, the final realization of Essence comes about by the help of another person, or by accident. To gamble upon accidental happenings is to risk the dangers involved and to run the risk that Essential realization may never come about.
• Set the house in order. This means that we must find some economic security, we must keep the physical house healthy, as it will either quit thinking or think unreliably, and we must adjust the domestic scene so that people with whom we live will be amenable to the search.
• Find a person or persons who have been down the road we wish to follow. Look for books that will advise or furnish coordinative material. Travel in this regard if necessary, but never allow travel to become an escape in itself from you interior work.
• Find your fellow-seekers.
• Find a place to meet, and work together with these teachers and fellow-seekers.
• Implement regular, periodic, mental exercises with directed meditation.
• Or use Koan concentration.
• Use self-confrontation. That is to find for yourself ways and means of self-analysis.
• Reverse the vector.
• Find the obstacles that you must learn in order to avoid them in the process of reversal.
• Allow the ego to be eliminated, as it is the main obstacle.
• Constantly implement the Laws that are listed in The Albigen Papers.
• Find transmission from someone who has attained. (This transmission can best be effected in Ashram life.)
CHART OF THE DETAILED STEPS
THE WAY (DHARMA):
• Set the house in order (domestic). Plan for tranquillity and security.
• Learn to conserve the energies. Find DETERMINATION AND DESIRE FOR DIRECTION with the success of conserving energies.
• Direct the energies profitably. (Study and search.)
THE LIFE (SANGHA):
• Value BROTHERHOOD AND COOPERATION. Brotherhood involves spiritual, mental and physical help, in that order.
• Utilize and understand the LAW OF THE LADDER. The Sangha is the matrix in which the law of the ladder bears fruit.
• Become a VECTOR. You must become a vector BEFORE YOU CAN BECOME THE TRUTH.
THE TRUTH (BUDDHA):
• Tell the truth in all things relative. (Physical and vocal truth.)
• DO NOT RATIONALIZE. (Mental truth.)
• BECOME THE TRUTH. (Absolute Truth.)
All of the above must be done simultaneously. We should not concentrate on the personal affairs and forget the brotherhood or forget the practice of truth.
Remove the urgency of habits. Habits are not sins but can sap our energy and even cause trouble or death. Do not allow the slavery from appetites or any habits. The word “habit” includes a wide range of distractions, which may not be negative except to the PATH.
With the energy thus salvaged, add to the intensity of the VECTOR, harmonizing the body and raising somatic energy to the head,
... where we engage in research by checking out systems of many movements,
... where we meditate upon our reactions. And where we learn discrimination, and learn to act with discrimination. And
... where, when the observation of reactions becomes intense enough, THE MIND WILL STOP.
The group or Sangha serves to sustain and remind the members, thus keeping them on the PATH and stimulating their progress.
THE LAW OF THE LADDER is used. We do not advance without helping or being helped. The LAW OF THE LADDER is the formula by which the group or Sangha is able to find for all someone to help and someone who can use help.
THE LAW OF THE VECTOR. You must become a vector. In order to fully implement the law of the vector, you usually need someone to monitor progress and function as a catalyst at the proper moment.
THE FULL UNDERSTANDING OF THE LAW OF THE VECTOR INVOLVES THE KNOWLEDGE OF REVERSING IT, AS IT IS NOW AIMED AT THE RELATIVE WORLD SCENE.
The group should also contain someone, or should attract someone, who is able to effect transmission. This is the final REALIZATION OF THE ABSOLUTE.
IN ORDER TO INSURE GROUP SUCCESS, WHICH MEANS IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE CHAIN BY WHICH SEEKERS MAY HAVE A PLACE TO COME TO, EACH MEMBER SHOULD REALIZE THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE WORD COMMITMENT.
This makes an eternal spiral from the mundane to the Absolute.
By his commitment, the teacher reaches down to help the helpless.
The helpless, before receiving help, should make the commitment that when they succeed in any degree, they will act in a sincere desire to help their fellows.
Before the helpless become (reach the Absolute), they have thus made a commitment that will set in motion at least their minds and physical bodies in the direction of teaching and helping others, and even setting an example, ALL OF WHICH MAY SEEM FOOLISH TO THEM WHEN THEY ENTER SATORI AND SEE THE INSIGNIFICANCE OF ALL MUNDANE EFFORT.
AS IN ALL THINGS, THE COMMITMENT SHOULD BE THREEFOLD BODY, MIND, ESSENCE.
YOU CANNOT COMMIT THE ESSENCE -- IT IS ALREADY COMMITTED. We are ESSENTIALLY, as far as the Absolute is concerned. There is however a paradox here, which cannot be explained openly, as it will lead to confusion.